|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 5 to 8 Servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 27g||35%|
|Saturated Fat 13g||66%|
|Total Carbohydrate 19g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||10%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This easy hamburger casserole is made with convenience ingredients. The instant mashed potato topping makes this layered dinner similar to a cottage pie.
The recipe is an adaptation of one from a Rival recipe brochure. The original recipe used mashed potato flakes and much more sour cream.Since some instant potatoes take more water and/or milk per cup of flakes, I prepare them following the package directions.
If you decide to make homemade mashed potatoes, make them with about 4 to 5 medium potatoes and add sour cream to them before you spread them over the ground beef.
- 2 pounds lean ground beef (browned and drained)
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 10 to 12 ounces frozen green beans, corn, or mixed vegetables (thawed, 1 1/2 to 2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (freshly ground)
- 2 cups prepared mashed potatoes (instant or fresh)
- 1/4 cup sour cream (more or less, or to taste)
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Dash of paprika
- Gather the ingredients.
- Spray the inside of the slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large skillet, brown the ground beef; drain off fat.
- Add tomato sauce, chopped onion, garlic, mixed vegetables, salt, and pepper to the ground beef. Transfer the beef and vegetable mixture to the crockery insert of the slow cooker.
- In a bowl, combine the prepared mashed potatoes with sour cream, to taste.
- Spread the mashed potato mixture over the beef mixture. Cover and cook on LOW for 5 to 7 hours or on HIGH for 3 to 4 hours.
- Sprinkle the potato layer with the shredded cheddar cheese and paprika 30 minutes before serving.
You Might Also Like