Helen's easy pot roast is made with a little red wine (or beef broth), vegetables, garlic, and seasonings. The gravy for this pot roast is thickened after the roast is cooked and liquids are reduced.
Potatoes may be added along with the turnip or rutabaga.
- 1/2 cup chopped turnip or rutabaga
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped carrot
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 lean beef chuck or top round pot roast, about 3 to 4 pounds, cut into 2 pieces if necessary to fit
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 2 tablespoons fresh minced parsley
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- In slow cooker combine the chopped turnip, onion, carrot, celery, and garlic.
- Trim the beef roast of excess fat.
- Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat; brown roast on all sides.
- Place meat on the vegetables in the slow cooker. Sprinkle roast with salt and pepper; pour the 1/2 cup wine or beef broth over roast.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours.
- Remove the pot roast to a warm serving platter.
- Strain the vegetables; reserve 2 cups of the cooking liquid. If necessary, add water to make 2 cups.
- Put the reserved liquid in the freezer for a few minutes until the fat rises to the top, or use a gravy separator to remove the fat.
- Spoon the vegetables around roast and sprinkle with parsley. Cover meat with foil to keep warm while preparing gravy.
- After you remove the excess fat, pour the cooking liquid into a saucepan.
- In a cup, blend the 1/4 cup cold water slowly into flour, stirring until smooth; stir into cooking liquid.
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring until thicken and bubbly. Serve gravy with pot roast and vegetables.
Recipe shared by Helen.
You Might Also Like
- Favorite Slow Cooker Pot Roast Recipes
- Pot Roast With Red Wine and Mushrooms
- Pot Roast With Garlic and Thyme
- Easy Lazy Pot Roast
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||29 g|
|Saturated Fat||10 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||14 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|