|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 8-10 Bowls (8-10 Servings)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 8g||10%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||13%|
|Total Carbohydrate 41g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 7g||26%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Spicy sausage makes this a hearty lentil soup. Use chicken and apple sausage, andouille, or your own favorite smoked sausage in this soup.
This makes a big batch of soup for a big family or party, or freeze a batch for later.
- 1 pound lentils
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 2 cloves garlic (coarsely chopped)
- 12 ounces smoked sausage (chicken, andouille, turkey sausage, or other)
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach (or Swiss chard or kale)
- Juice of 1 lemon (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Salt (to taste)
Rinse the lentils and drain them thoroughly.
Combine all ingredients, except salt, in a 5 to 7-quart slow cooker.
Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours, until lentils and vegetables are tender.
If desired, puree some of the soup in a blender to thicken. Or, use an immersion blender and blend until you reach the consistency you desire.
Taste and season with salt, as needed.