Spicy sausage makes this a hearty lentil soup. Use chicken and apple sausage, andouille, or your own favorite smoked sausage in this soup.
This makes a big batch of soup for a big family or party, or freeze a batch for later.
- 1 pound lentils
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup diced carrot
- 2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 12 ounces smoked sausage, chicken, andouille, turkey sausage, or other
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 2 cans (14.5 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups chopped fresh spinach (or Swiss chard or kale)
- Juice of 1 lemon, about 2 tablespoons
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Salt, to taste
- Rinse the lentils and drain them thoroughly.
- Combine all ingredients, except salt, in a 5 to 7-quart slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 to 8 hours, until lentils and vegetables are tender.
- If desired, puree some of the soup in a blender to thicken. Or, use an immersion blender and blend until you reach the consistency you desire.
- Taste and season with salt, as needed.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||8 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||7 g|