Make these delicious slow cooker mashed potatoes ahead of time, refrigerate for up to 2 days, then reheat it and keep it hot in the slow cooker. The potatoes are creamy and smooth and have the perfect flavor and consistency.
These potatoes are perfect when you're entertaining, especially on Thanksgiving. Having one course done and waiting for you is an excellent way to make the whole thing a lot easier. And these potatoes are very creamy, with a fabulous taste from the cream cheese and sour cream.
If you'd like, you could saute a chopped onion and some minced garlic in the 1/3 cup butter until tender before adding it to the sour cream. In that case, omit the onion powder and garlic powder.
- 5 pounds russet or Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 beaten egg
- 1/3 cup butter
- Cook the potatoes in large pot of boiling salted water until they are tender, about 20 to 30 minutes. Drain the potatoes well in a colander and return to the dry pot. Shake over low heat for about 1 minute. This helps make the potatoes fluffy as it drives off excess moisture.
- Then mash the potatoes until there are no lumps. Beat in the cream cheese, sour cream, onion powder, salt, pepper, and egg.
- Place the mashed potatoes in a greased 9" x 13" baking dish. Melt the butter and drizzle over the potatoes. Cool for 20 minutes, then cover and refrigerate up to 3 days.
- Take potatoes out of the refrigerator about 3-1/2 hours before serving time. Stir the potato mixture well. Remove the potatoes from the dish and place in a 4 or 5-quart crockpot. Cover and cook on low heat for 3 to 4 hours, stirring once or twice.
- You can add more melted butter or some cream or milk if you want a softer consistency. The potatoes can be held in the slow cooker an additional 30 minutes or more on low, or turn the crockpot to "keep warm" for another hour or two if necessary.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||16 g|
|Saturated Fat||9 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|