|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 1 pork shoulder (6-8 servings)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 35g||45%|
|Saturated Fat 13g||63%|
|Total Carbohydrate 17g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||3%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
- 1 pork shoulder roast (3 to 4 lbs. trimmed pork butt)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 small can (6 ounces) frozen orange juice concentrate (thawed)
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 3 tablespoons flour mixed with 3 tablespoons cold water
Place the pork shoulder roast in slow cooker; sprinkle with salt and pepper.
In a bowl, combine orange juice concentrate, brown sugar, nutmeg, and allspice; pour over the pork roast. Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 hour. Reduce heat to LOW and cook for 8 hours.
Before serving, skim fat from juices and pour the cooking juices into a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and cook, stirring, until slightly reduced and the flavors are concentrated.
Whisk in the flour and water mixture and continue cooking until thickened. Serve the thickened juices with the pork roast.
- Serve this with biscuits or rolls, rice, and a salad for a full, satisfying meal.
- Strain the juices through a gravy separator to easily reduce the fat in the liquids.