These country-style pork ribs are easy to prepare and cook in the slow cooker with smoked paprika and optional mushrooms. Sour cream is added to the liquids to make a flavorful sauce for the pork. Use boneless or bone-in country-style ribs.
Heavy cream can be used in place of the sour cream if you prefer.
A sliced or cubed pork shoulder roast or chops may be substituted.
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika (or sweet paprika)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 to 4 pounds country-style pork ribs, bone-in or boneless*
- 2 to 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 8 ounces sliced mushrooms, optional
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 to 1 cup sour cream
- In a bowl or pie plate combine the flour with the paprika, cumin, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Dredge the pork in the flour mixture.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Sear the country-style pork ribs, turning to brown both sides.
- Place the pork in the slow cooker.
- Add the onions to the skillet and cook until lightly browned. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute longer. Transfer the onions and garlic to the slow cooker.
- If using, add the mushrooms to the skillet. If necessary, add more vegetable oil and saute until lightly browned. Transfer the mushrooms to the slow cooker.
- Pour the chicken broth into the hot pan and scrape up the browned bits. Pour over the pork and vegetables.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 hour. Reduce the heat to LOW and cook for about 3 to 4 hours longer. The pork should be quite tender.
- Remove the pork to a platter and keep warm. Pour the drippings into a skillet and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for about 5 minutes, or until reduced by about one-quarter to one-third and the flavors are concentrated. Stir in the sour cream and heat through -- do not boil.
- Serve the sauce with the pork.
*A sliced boneless pork shoulder roast or pork chops may be used in this recipe as well.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||49 g|
|Saturated Fat||16 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||22 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|