|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 11g||14%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||15%|
|Total Carbohydrate 32g||12%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||8%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This easy crock pot pepper steak recipe is a tasty combination of steak strips and peppers in a delicious Asian-inspired sauce mixture. This is great comfort food, perfect for an everyday family dinner. This version calls for round steak
Pepper steak is a Chinese-American concoction flavored with soy sauce and ginger. The recipe has been an American favorite since the 1940s. If your family enjoys Asian flavors, they will surely like this combination.
- 2 pounds beef round steak (about 1 inch thick, cut into 3-inch strips)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (canola, corn oil, safflower, etc.)
- 1/4 cup soy sauce (preferably reduced sodium)
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 1 medium clove garlic (crushed and minced)
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar (or honey or brown sugar)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (freshly ground)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can tomatoes (cut up, with juices)
- 2 large bell peppers (cut into strips, green or combination of colors)
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- Optional: hot cooked rice
- Optional: chopped fresh cilantro
- Optional: sesame seeds
Gather the ingredients.
Place the beef strips in the crockery insert of the slow cooker.
In a bowl combine the vegetable oil, soy sauce, onion, garlic, sugar, salt and pepper, and ginger; pour over beef.
Cover and cook on LOW for 5 to 6 hours, or until the meat is tender.
Add tomatoes and green peppers; cover and cook on LOW for 1 hour longer.
Combine the cold water and cornstarch to make a smooth paste; stir into the slow cooker, increase the heat to HIGH and continue cooking until the liquids have thickened.
Serve pepper steak over noodles or rice. Garnish servings with fresh chopped cilantro, parsley, or sesame seeds, if desired.
- Browning the meat can improve the color and flavor of any slow cooker dish. If you have the time, brown the beef over medium-high heat in a small amount of vegetable oil.
- Want dinner on the table faster? Cook the beef mixture on the high setting for about 2 1/2 hours. Add the tomatoes and peppers and cook for an additional 30 minutes. Add the cornstarch mixture and continue to cook until the sauce is thickened.
- For easier cleanup, cook the dish in a slow cooker cooking bag or liner. When the dish is done, pour it into a serving dish.
- Add about 8 ounces of sliced mushrooms to the pot along with the tomatoes and peppers.
- Instead of round steak, make the pepper steak with sirloin tips, flank steak, or lean chuck steak.
- Instead of beef, make the pepper steak with strips of pork loin or pork steak in the recipe.
- For a darker color sauce, add some browning sauce, such as Gravymaster or Kitchen Bouquet.
- For sweeter Asian-style sauce, replace the sugar with 2 tablespoons of brown sugar, 2 tablespoons of Hoisin sauce, and 1 teaspoon of toasted sesame oil.
- For a more savory gravy, omit the tomatoes and add about 1 cup of beef stock—preferably unsalted or low sodium—to the onion and seasoning mixture.
- For a thicker sauce, use 2 tablespoons of cornstarch dissolved in about 2 tablespoons of cold water.