|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 6 to 8 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 18g||23%|
|Saturated Fat 7g||35%|
|Total Carbohydrate 8g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||6%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
French onion soup and tomatoes add flavor to this delicious pot roast that is prepared in a slow cooker. Serve it with potatoes, a green vegetable, a tossed salad, and a whole-grain bread for a hearty weekday meal.
- 1 boneless chuck pot roast (about 3 pounds)
- Steak seasoning blend (to taste or salt and pepper to taste)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion (peeled and sliced)
- 8 ounces mushrooms (cleaned and sliced)
- 1 can condensed French onion soup (undiluted)
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes (undrained)
Gather the ingredients.
Rub the roast all over with the steak seasoning blend or salt and pepper.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sear the roast on all sides, about 2 to 3 minutes per side.
Transfer the roast to the crockery insert of the slow cooker.
In the same skillet, sauté the onion and mushrooms over medium heat until the onions are lightly browned.
Add the soup, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, and diced tomatoes and their liquid, and bring to a boil. Pour over the roast in the slow cooker.
Cook on HIGH for 1 hour.
Turn to LOW and continue cooking for 7 to 8 hours, or until tender.
Remove from the slow cooker and serve with boiled or mashed potatoes, using the pan juices as an unthickened sauce. If you desire, you can transfer the pan juices to a saucepan and stir in 1 tablespoon cornstarch that has been mixed with 2 tablespoons water until smooth. Whisk until the pan juices have thickened to make a thicker gravy.
More Pot Roast Recipes
Pot roast is a tough piece of meat with a lot of connective tissue that must be broken down by long, slow cooking known as braising. A lowly cut of meat like chuck roast, bottom round, or rump roast can be turned into a sumptuous meal when cooked using this technique or one of these variations.
- Pot roast with garlic and thyme is an all-in-one meal that slow cooked in a conventional oven. It includes potatoes and optional mushrooms and carrots for a great family dinner for any night of the week.
- Another slow cooker recipe is this tangy pot roast made with red wine, beef broth, It gets its tang from a tomato-vinegar sauce.
- Earthy mushrooms are highlighted in this beer-braised pot roast that includes bacon and spicy grill seasoning and is cooked in a Dutch oven on the stovetop.