- 1 lean chuck roast, about 3 to 4 pounds
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium sweet onion, coarsely chopped or sliced
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 cup port wine or red wine
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, finely minced
- Sprinkle roast with salt and pepper; coat with the flour.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Sear the roast on all sides; transfer to the slow cooker insert.
- Add onions to the skillet and cook, stirring, until lightly browned. Combine the remaining ingredients and add to the onions. Cook, stirring, until the mixture is simmering.
- Pour over the roast in the crockery insert.
- Cover and cook on HIGH for 1 hour.
- Reduce heat to LOW and cook for 7 to 9 hours longer. Or, continue cooking on HIGH for about 4 to 5 hours longer.
- Transfer the roast to a serving platter.
- Put juices in a saucepan and simmer for about 5 to 10 minutes to reduce liquids and concentrate flavor.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|