|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 6 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 43g||55%|
|Saturated Fat 21g||107%|
|Total Carbohydrate 65g||24%|
|Dietary Fiber 7g||24%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Conserve energy and keep the house cooler by using your slow cooker instead of the oven. Here's a flavorful one-pot meal the whole family will enjoy. Serve this potato and sausage dish with a tossed salad or sliced fresh tomatoes, along with biscuits.
Spicy andouille sausage is excellent in this dish, but feel free to use your favorite smoked sausage or kielbasa.
- 10 medium potatoes (about 3 pounds; slice about 1/4-inch thick)
- 12 to 16 ounces smoked sausage (such as chicken apple sausage or a similar sausage; sliced)
- Optional: 1 large onion (halved and sliced)
- 2 cans (about 10 1/2 ounces each) condensed cream of potato soup
- 3/4 cup evaporated milk
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- A dash of paprika
Toss the sliced potatoes, sausage, and onions together in a 5-quart to 7-quart slow cooker.
In a large bowl, combine the two cans of soup, milk, pepper, and cheese.
Gently stir the soup mixture into the potatoes. Sprinkle with paprika.
Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours, or until the potatoes are tender, stirring once about halfway through the cooking time.
- High starch potatoes, like russets and baking potatoes, don't hold their shape as well as lower-starch potatoes. For best results, choose Yukon Gold, new potatoes, or red-skinned potatoes for this recipe.
- Add some diced green bell pepper to the casserole along with the onion.
- Use a can of cream of celery soup along with the cream of potato soup or make the dish with two cans of cream of celery soup.
- Use fresh cooked Italian sausage in the dish. Place a skillet over medium heat with about 2 teaspoons of oil. Add the sausage and brown on all sides for about 5 minutes. Add about 1/2 to 3/4 cup of water to the skillet. Cover the pan and simmer for about 12 minutes. Remove the sausages, slice, and transfer to the slow cooker with the potatoes.