This easy, casual dish takes minutes to put together in the morning and simmers all day while you're at work. For more detailed instructions, take a look at Making Pulled Chicken in the Slow Cooker
- 2 1/2 pounds chicken pieces (any combination of boneless, skinless thigh and breast meat
- 1 medium onion, diced (about 1/2 cup)
- About 8 ounces barbecue sauce
- Place chicken in slow cooker, thigh pieces first, then breast pieces. Chicken should cover the entire bottom of the cooker; additional pieces can be layered on top. Sprinkle onion over chicken. Pour barbecue sauce over chicken and onions, use spatula to spread evenly so that it completely covers all of the chicken. Set slow cooker for "low," cook 5 hours.
- Test chicken with a thermometer to make sure internal temperature measures at least 165˚F. Remove chicken from cooker and let cool 5 minutes. With two forks, a knife, or your hands (once it cools more) shred the chicken into small pieces. Return it to the slow cooker and stir to combine with the sauce. Serve on its own or on sandwich rolls as a sandwich.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||25 g|
|Saturated Fat||7 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||10 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|