This perfectly seasoned pulled pork makes a fabulous filling for warm flour tortillas. Mexican style seasonings along with the salsa, barbecue sauce, and bell peppers make this slow cooker pulled pork an unforgettable treat. The recipe calls for a pork loin, but feel free to use pork butt or shoulder.
- 2 1/2 to 3 pounds boneless pork loin roast (or use a traditional pork shoulder or butt)
- 1 medium onion (thinly sliced)
- 2 cups barbecue sauce (purchased or homemade)
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 small green bell pepper (cut into strips)
- 1 small red bell pepper (cut into strips)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 10 flour tortillas (8 to 10 inches in diameter)
Remove excess fat from pork. Place pork in 3 1/2- 6-quart slow cooker; arrange onion on top. Mix barbecue sauce, salsa, herbs, and spices; pour over pork.
Cover and cook on low heat 8 to 10 hours or until pork is very tender.
Remove pork; place on large plate. Use 2 forks to pull pork into shreds.
Pour sauce into a large bowl; stir in pork.
Sauté pepper strips in a skillet in about 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
Spoon filling onto tortillas; top with a few pepper strips, and roll up.
Tips and Variations
- For some extra heat, add a few tablespoons of minced fresh jalapeno peppers or another kind of hot chile pepper. Or add some crushed red pepper flakes.
- Top the tortillas with a simple red or green cabbage slaw and chipotle mayonnaise or Sriracha mayonnaise.
- Add a can of drained black beans or pinto beans to the pork about an hour before the pork is ready. Or serve the pork with refried beans.