If you're looking for a delicious versatile dish to serve as a main course or a side item, then red beans and rice will do it. A popular item at most barbecue restaurants, you'll love the ease of preparing this well-known dish in a slow cooker.
- 1 pound uncooked red kidney beans, soaked for 1 hour and rinsed
- 1/2 pound andouille sausage
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) unsalted butter (you can use less if preferred)
- 4 slices bacon
- 2 ribs of celery (finely chopped)
- 4 cups/960 mL chicken broth
- 2 cups/480 mL water
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) salt
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) black pepper
In a large skillet, cook bacon slices and set aside. Reserve some of the bacon fat in the pan. Add chopped onions and saute on medium heat for 3-4 minutes. Add minced garlic and saute for 1 minute. Remove from heat and add to slow cooker along with red kidney beans. Slice sausage into 1-inch pieces and saute for 1-2 minutes in skillet. Add to slow cooker along with remaining ingredients. Cover and cook on high for 3 hours, reduce to low and cook for 5-7 hours or until red beans a nice and tender.
Once cooked, remove from heat and serve over freshly cooked white or brown rice. Serve as a main dish or as a barbecue side. If so inclined, add a ham hock to the beans for additional smokey flavor.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|