|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 8 to 10|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 13g||17%|
|Saturated Fat 4g||20%|
|Total Carbohydrate 13g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||10%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Feel free to adapt the recipe to suit your family's tastes. Add some celery to the vegetable mixture in the dish if you'd like. Small round potatoes or fingerlings would be a good addition as well.
Searing the flour-coated steak adds to the overall flavor and texture of the dish. It also adds some color to the meat. You can certainly forgo the browning step and add the raw beef to the slow cooker, but browning the meat first will give you a tastier dish.
This makes enough for 8, and it's easily scaled down for a smaller family.
- 3 pounds round steak
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (freshly ground)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1 (1 ounce) envelope dry onion and mushroom soup mix (or substitute classic onion soup mix)
- 2 (10 3/4-ounce) cans condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 1/3 cups water (or use unsalted stock)
- 4 medium carrots (thinly sliced)
- 2 medium onions (sliced)
Gather the ingredients.
Slice the round steak into serving-size portions or thin strips. Sprinkle the meat with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Put the flour in a paper bag or plastic food storage bag. Add the meat and toss to coat thoroughly with flour.
Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil or vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the flour-coated steak and cook, turning to brown all sides. This will take about 5 to 6 minutes.
In a medium bowl combine dry onion soup mix with the 2 cans of cream of mushroom soup and the water.
Place half of the steak, carrots, and onions in the crock pot. Pour half of the soup sauce mixture over the meat and vegetables. Repeat the layers.
Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 1/2 to 4 1/2 hours (or low for about 8 to 9 hours), or until the beef is tender.
Serve and enjoy!
- Stir about 1/2 to 1 teaspoon of a gravy browning sauce (Gravy Master, Kitchen Bouquet) into the sauce mixture to give it some deeper color.
- Add about 1/2 cup of diced celery along with the carrots and onions.
- Add 1 small jar or can (drained) of sliced mushrooms to the slow cooker. Or sauté about 1 cup of fresh sliced mushrooms and add them to the slow cooker.