|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: Serves 6|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 42g||54%|
|Saturated Fat 16g||78%|
|Total Carbohydrate 28g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 5g||16%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Just pile these ingredients in your crockpot and enjoy a delicious Italian Slow Cooker Sausage and Peppers recipe tonight. The combination of sausages and bell peppers is a classic one in Italy. The sweetness of the peppers compliments the spicy perkiness of the sausage.
By the way, Italian sausages come in two flavors: hot and sweet. They both contain fennel, garlic, and onion, but the hot also has crushed red pepper flakes. Use the variety you like best in this easy recipe. Or you can use any other type of sausage you like.
Also, it's important to brown sausages before they are added to the crockpot to remove excess fat. The sausages will be a nice color and the texture will be better. Enjoy this dish with some hot cooked pasta or rice tossed with butter and Parmesan cheese and a glass of red wine. Add a green salad tossed with mushrooms and sliced avocados for more texture and temperature contrast. For dessert, I would serve brownies or chocolate chip cookies for the perfect finishing touch.
- 2 pounds sweet or hot Italian sausages
- 2 onions, chpped
- 2 red peppers, cut into 2" pieces
- 1 orange or yellow bell pepper, cut into 2" pieces
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup dry red wine or beef broth
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Gather the ingredients.
- Cook the sausage in a heavy skillet over medium heat until browned, turning occasionally. I like to start this process by adding about 1/3 cup of water to the sausages in the skillet. This starts to cook the sausages and helps them brown more evenly.
- Layer half of the onions on the bottom of a 4 quart crockpot, then add half of the peppers. Add all of the browned sausage, then the rest of the onions and peppers.
- Add the diced undrained tomatoes, tomato sauce, and the red wine to the skillet and cook over medium heat for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring to loosen the brown bits on the bottom of the pan. These little bits contain a lot of flavor. Pour this sauce over the food in the crockpot.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook on low for 6 hours.
- One hour before the food is done, add the dried Italian seasoning and pepper to the crockpot and stir well. Cover and cook for one more hour until the sausage is thoroughly cooked to 160 F as measured with a food thermometer, and the vegetables are tender.