These delicious boneless short ribs get loads of flavor from red wine and beef broth. Two packets of gravy mix thicken the sauce as it cooks. The short ribs are incredibly easy to cook in the slow cooker. Just sear the ribs, deglaze the pan, and combine everything in the crock pot. Go to work or use your day to do other things. By the time you get home, the ribs will be fully cooked!
Serve these melt-in-your-mouth short ribs with mashed potatoes and cream-style corn or steamed broccoli, or use your own favorite vegetables on the side. If you use bone-in ribs, allow about 5 pounds for 4 to 6 people.
- 2 to 3 pounds beef short ribs (boneless, or about 5 pounds on the bone)
- 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grill seasoning (for steak or burgers)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 (.75-ounce) envelopes mushroom gravy or brown gravy mix
- 3/4 cup dry red wine
- 3/4 cup beef broth
- 1 1/2 cups frozen pearl onions (or small peeled boiling onions)
- In a food storage bag or plate, combine the flour and grill seasoning (or you might substitute a similar seasoning mixture).
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Coat the beef with the flour mixture then brown in the hot oil on all sides.
- In a large cup or small bowl, combine the beef broth and gravy mix.
- Transfer the beef to a slow cooker (about 3 1/2 to 5-quart) and top with the onions. Pour the gravy mixture over all. Pour the red wine into the hot skillet and scrape up browned bits; pour over the meat mixture.
- Cover and cook on low for 7 to 9 hours.
- Serve with mashed potatoes and your favorite side vegetable.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||57 g|
|Saturated Fat||23 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||28 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|