If you're looking for a meat dish everyone will love, you almost can't go wrong with short ribs. The tender, melt-in-your-mouth meat is great served with vegetables, or shred the meat and serve in tortillas or sandwiches.
This recipe is a flavorful combination of short ribs, mushrooms, and red wine or broth.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 4 pounds beef, short ribs, cut into 3" pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper, black
- 3 cups onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup dry red wine, beef broth, or water
- 1 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup thinly sliced mushrooms, sauteed in butter
- 1 cup sour cream
- Salt, to taste
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped parsley
- Set a large skillet over medium-high heat. Sprinkle short ribs with salt then add to hot skillet. Brown short ribs well on all sides. Season the meat with pepper and transfer turn into a bowl.
- Add the oil to the skillet and saute the onion for about 3 minutes; transfer to the slow-cooker. Swirl the red wine, broth, or water in the hot skillet and scrape up the browned bits. Add to the slow cooker along with the beef ribs.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 to 10 hours, or until short ribs are very tender.
- Remove short ribs to a serving platter and keep warm.
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Saute the mushrooms until they are tender.
- Add the cooking liquid from the slow cooker to the skillet. Simmer, scraping up the pan juices, until the sauce is reduced and slightly thickened, about 5 to 7 minutes. Remove skillet from the heat.
- Stir in the sour cream and return to the heat just long enough to heat through. Do not boil. Taste and adjust seasonings. Pour the mushroom sauce over the meat and sprinkle with fresh parsley.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||94 g|
|Saturated Fat||40 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||43 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|