|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 4g||6%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||12%|
|Total Carbohydrate 17g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||13%|
|Total Sugars 12g|
|Vitamin C 44mg||218%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
These homemade stewed tomatoes are a snap to prepare and cook in the slow cooker, and they are so much better than canned. Meaty plum tomatoes (also known as Roma tomatoes) are an excellent choice.
The tomatoes are seasoned with chopped celery, onion, and bell pepper. You'll find tips and variations for Italian-style and Mexican-style stewed tomatoes below the instructions.
6 to 8 large tomatoes
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
3/4 cup chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped green pepper
1 to 2 tablespoons sugar, or to taste
1 small bay leaf
1 teaspoon salt, or to taste
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Chopped fresh parsley, optional
Steps to Make It
Gather the ingredients.
Bring a large saucepan or pot of water to a boil over high heat.
Fill a large bowl with ice and water.
Using a sharp paring knife, core the tomatoes.
Carefully lower a few into the boiling water and leave them for about 15 to 20 seconds. Lift them out and immediately immerse them in the ice water to cool quickly and loosen the skins.
Peel the tomatoes and then cut into wedges.
Transfer the tomato wedges to the slow cooker and add the butter, sliced onion, celery, green bell pepper, sugar, the bay leaf, and salt and pepper.
Cover the cooker and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
Remove the bay leaf and sprinkle with parsley, if desired. Serve as a side dish or freeze in portions for soups or other recipes.
- This recipe is easy to double or triple if you have an abundance of tomatoes. You can freeze these tomatoes in freezer bags or freezer containers. Generally, wide-mouthed jars and containers should have about 1/2 inch of headspace, but if you freeze them in standard canning jars leaving about 1 1/2 inches of headspace.
- Roma Tomatoes: These are meatier than most varieties, and an excellent choice for stewed tomatoes.
- Celery Flakes: Another excellent flavor addition, and you can use them in addition to the chopped celery or as a substitute.
- Italian-Style Stewed Tomatoes: Add 3/4 teaspoon dried leaf basil or oregano and 1 clove of garlic, minced. Reduce the sugar to 1 teaspoon or to taste.
- Mexican-Style Stewed Tomatoes: To the basic recipe add 1 scant teaspoon of cumin, 2 teaspoons of chili powder, 1 clove of garlic, minced, and 1 scant teaspoon of oregano. Reduce the sugar to 1 teaspoon, or to taste.