|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 40g||52%|
|Saturated Fat 17g||87%|
|Total Carbohydrate 36g||13%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||10%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
These crock pot Swedish meatballs are super easy to prepare and cook. Serve the flavorful meatballs and sauce with hot cooked noodles or rice.
Use sour cream or heavy sweet cream for the sauce. The condensed beef broth gives the sauce beefy flavor.
The recipe is easily multiplied for a crowd. After the sauce has thickened, return the meatballs to the slow cooker and keep them warm for serving.
The meatballs are baked on a rack in a broiler pan or roasting pan and then they're added to the slow cooker with beef broth.
- 1 1/2 cups fresh bread crumbs
- 1 cup milk or half-and-half
- 1 1/2 pounds ground chuck or round
- 1/2 pound lean ground pork (or use all beef)
- 2 large eggs (slightly beaten)
- 1 medium onion, chopped fine
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt (plus more, as needed, to taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (10 1/2 oz) condensed beef broth (or concentrated homemade beef stock), divided
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/2 cup sour cream or heavy whipping cream
Soak bread crumbs in milk for 5 minutes in a large mixing bowl. Add the ground beef and pork, eggs, onion, 1 1/4 teaspoons of salt, nutmeg, and allspice; mix well. Shape into 1-inch meatballs.
Place the meatballs on a rack in a broiler pan and bake for 15 to 20 minutes at 400 or until cooked through. They should register at least 160 F on an instant-read thermometer inserted into the center of a meatball. If there is poultry in the meatballs, the minimum safe temperature is 165 F.
Put the browned meatballs in a slow cooker. Add 1/2 can beef broth and the pepper. Cover and cook on LOW for 3 to 5 hours.
To thicken gravy, turn slow cooker to high. Combine butter and flour to make a smooth paste. Add the paste to remaining 1/2 can beef broth and pour over meatballs.
Cook until thickened, about 45 minutes.
Remove the meatballs with a slotted spoon. Stir sour cream or cream into the broth until smooth. Taste and add salt, if needed.
Pour the sauce over the meatballs and serve with noodles or potatoes.
- Since the meatballs are completely cooked, you may want to shorten the cooking time. Bring the beef broth to a boil before adding it to the slow cooker with the meatballs, and then cook for about 1 hour. Thicken the gravy and proceed with the recipe.