This sweet potato casserole is baked in the slow cooker with the classic crunchy brown sugar and pecan topping. Unless you have two ovens, this is the next best way to cook a sweet potato casserole. In fact, it may even be better!
Using canned sweet potatoes makes the casserole extraordinarily fast and easy to prepare, and the slow cooker makes cooking a breeze. Canned sweet potatoes are packed in syrup so that they will be sweeter than the canned puree. If you use sweet potato puree, taste it before you add the beaten eggs. If necessary, add more brown or granulated sugar to taste. You may also use fresh mashed sweet potatoes. See the tips and variations for instructions for boiling and mashing whole sweet potatoes.
- 2 (15-ounce) cans sweet potatoes (drained and mashed)
- 4 tablespoons butter (melted)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (packed, light or dark)
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (packed, light or dark)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons butter (melted)
- Lightly butter the crockery insert of the slow cooker.
- In a large bowl combine the mashed sweet potatoes, 1/4 cup of melted butter, 2 tablespoons granulated sugar, and 2 tablespoons brown sugar in a large bowl. Beat in the orange juice, eggs, and milk. Transfer to the slow cooker.
- In a small bowl combine the chopped pecans, 1/2 cup of brown sugar, flour, and 2 tablespoons of melted butter. Spread the mixture evenly over the top of the sweet potatoes. Cover the pot and cook on high for 3 to 4 hours.
- Serve the sweet potato casserole hot from the slow cooker or spoon the potatoes into a serving bowl.
Tips and Variations
- The convenience of the slow cooker not only makes cooking the casserole easy but it's also easy to take along to a party or family dinner elsewhere. Take it to the party in the slow cooker and plug it back in when you get there.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon of cinnamon and a dash of nutmeg for spice flavor.
- Double the ingredients for a larger dinner or party.
- To make the casserole with fresh whole sweet potatoes, pierce 3 to 4 medium washed sweet potatoes with a fork or sharp knife. Put them in a saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium and cover the pan. Continue boiling the potatoes for about 20 to 30 minutes, or until very tender. Remove the skins, put the sweet potatoes in a bowl, and mash by hand or beat with an electric mixer. You may also puree them in a food processor.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||24 g|
|Saturated Fat||10 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||9 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|