This slow cooker chicken soup offers plenty of spicy Tex-Mex flavor. Enchilada sauce, tomatoes, peppers, and several other vegetables flavor this fabulous chicken soup. Chicken thighs and beans provide the protein in the soup along with shredded spicy cheese.
For some extra heat, use pepper jack cheese in the soup, and top it with extra shredded cheese. If you like it less spicy, omit the jalapeno peppers and use a milder cheese.
Garnish this delicious soup with tortilla chips or strips. Use store-bought tortilla strips or see the tips and variations to learn how to make homemade fried tortilla strips. Green or red bell peppers are a milder alternative to jalapeno peppers, and sliced sauteed mushrooms are another possibility. If you don't have cream of chicken soup on hand, feel free to use cream of celery or cream of mushroom soup.
This is an excellent dish to make for a party or tailgating, and it is easily scaled up for a crowd. Take it along to the game and serve it hot from the slow cooker.
- 6 boneless chicken thighs
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans (or pinto beans drained)
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes (with juice or zesty chili style tomatoes)
- 1 (10-ounce) can red enchilada sauce (mild or medium)
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 (8-ounce) can corn (drained or 1 cup frozen corn kernels)
- 1 (4-ounce) can mild green chile peppers (chopped)
- Optional: 1 or 2 tablespoons minced jalapeno pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
- Dash kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1 cup milk (or half-and-half)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese (cheddar jack, divided)
- Garnish: tortilla chips
- Optional: sour cream, guacamole, chopped green onions
- Trim the chicken thighs, discarding excess fat. Chop the chicken into small pieces and add to the slow cooker. Add the chopped onions, beans, tomatoes, enchilada sauce, cream of chicken soup, corn, chile peppers, jalapeno peppers, if using, cumin, garlic powder, and oregano.
- Cover the slow cooker and cook the soup on low for 6 to 7 hours or high for 3 to 4 hours.
- Add the milk or half-and-half along with about half of the shredded cheese. Taste and add kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste. Heat through.
- Top servings with the remaining shredded cheese and tortilla chips or strips, if desired.
Tips and Variations
- Homemade Fried Tortilla Strips: Slice 2 to 3 corn tortillas in half and then slice into 1/2-inch strips. Fry in hot oil (about 350 F) until golden. Drain well on paper towels.
- If you prefer homemade, you can replace the cream of chicken soup with 2 cups of thick seasoned veloute sauce made with chicken stock. If the sauce includes milk, add it near the end of cooking along with the milk. Heat through and serve.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||75 g|
|Saturated Fat||27 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||27 g|
|Dietary Fiber||12 g|