|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
When time is tight but you don't want to rely on frozen dinners or take out, spend a few minutes early in the day chopping and preparing vegetables for a hearty and delicious slow cooker vegetable stew that will be waiting for you when you return home. This is a meatless stew, but there's some lean protein in the form of white beans.
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 ribs celery, chopped
- 2 large carrots, cut into thick slices
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 2 medium leeks, white parts only, sliced
- 1 8-ounce pack sliced mushrooms
- ½ pound small white salad potatoes, whole
- 1 15-ounce can lower-sodium white beans
- ¾ cup vegetable broth*
- 1 15-ounce can fire-roasted crushed tomatoes (We use Muir Glen brand)
- 1 bay leaf
Layer garlic and vegetables in a 4 to 5-quart slow cooker.
Add beans, broth, tomatoes and bay leaf.
Heat on low for 5 to 7 hours.
Per Serving: Calories 251, Calories from Fat 8, Total Fat 1g (sat 0.1g), Cholesterol 0mg, Sodium 348mg, Carbohydrate 49.5g, Fiber 13g, Protein 11.2g
*If you need to eat gluten-free, check ingredients in broth (Kitchen Basics and Pacific Foods are gluten-free)