|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 1g||1%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||1%|
|Total Carbohydrate 34g||12%|
|Dietary Fiber 8g||28%|
|Total Sugars 6g|
|Vitamin C 16mg||81%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Come home to a hearty and delicious slow cooker vegetable stew that is not only comforting but also low in fat and calories because it's so loaded with veggies. This easy recipe requires you to spend just a few minutes early in the day chopping the vegetables, and then the slow cooker does the rest. The potatoes in this recipe are small and left whole, but you can use other types and cut them smaller to an even size. Feel free to prep the ingredients the night before, with the exception of the potatoes if you need to cut them small. Do those last.
Chock full of vegetables, including carrots, butternut squash, and mushrooms, this is a filling and nutritious stew that is the perfect comfort food for vegetarians and meat-eaters alike. White beans add some creaminess and a bit of plant-based protein. Serve with some crusty bread or whole grain rolls. And like most stews, this is even better the next day.
3 cloves garlic, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
2 ribs celery, chopped
2 large carrots, sliced thick
1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
2 medium leeks, white parts only, sliced
1 (8-ounce) package sliced mushrooms
1/2 pound small white potatoes
1 (15-ounce) can low sodium white beans rinsed and drained
3/4 cup vegetable broth
1 (15-ounce) can fire-roasted crushed tomatoes
1 bay leaf
Gather the ingredients.
Layer the garlic, onion, and all of the vegetables in a 4- to 5-quart slow cooker.
Add the beans, broth, tomatoes, and bay leaf.
Cook on low for 5 to 7 hours until the vegetables are tender.
Serve with crusty bread and enjoy!
- Almost any type of white bean will work well in this recipe, from navy beans to great northern beans to cannellini beans.
- To make some of the prep faster, consider purchasing the butternut squash already peeled and cubed.
- The fire-roasted tomatoes add a little bit of a smokey taste, but if you can't find them (or don't care for them), you can use plain crushed tomatoes instead.
- Feel free to add some dried herbs at the beginning and/or fresh herbs before serving. Dried thyme, tarragon, and chopped fresh parsley would all work well.
- Feel free to swap out or add other vegetables you may like, such as cauliflower, zucchini, peas, green beans, and bell peppers. You can even toss in some spinach close to when the stew is done.
- Make this vegetable stew a special dish by adding some drop biscuits to the top. You can use a biscuit mix or a homemade recipe, and then simply drop spoonfuls on the stew during the last 20 minutes of cooking time.
How to Store and Freeze Vegetable Stew
This slow cooker vegetable stew is even better the next day, and if refrigerated and covered, will keep for up to 5 days.
You can also freeze this stew for up to 3 months. Defrost in the refrigerator and then reheat in a saucepan on the stove,