This recipe is adapted from one by champion pitmaster, Chris Lilly from Big Bob Gibson’s BBQ. Slow-roasting in a moist, flavorful environment produces a chicken that is very tender, juicy and delicious.
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 whole chicken (about 3 1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 small yellow onion (sliced thin)
- For Dry Rub:
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper (freshly ground)
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin (ground)
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Stir together the applesauce and Worcestershire in a bowl.
- Place the onion in the bottom of a 9 x 5 loaf pan.
- Hold the chicken upright over the loaf pan and spread all over with the applesauce mixture, allowing the excess to fall into the pan.
- Combine the dry rub ingredients.
- Season the cavity with about a teaspoon, and sprinkle the rest evenly over the entire chicken.
- Place the chicken breast-side-up in the pan.
- Bake for about 2 hours, or until a thermometer reads 165 degrees F. in the thickest part of the thigh.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|