|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 25g||32%|
|Saturated Fat 9g||47%|
|Total Carbohydrate 8g||3%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||2%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
A roast labeled "spoon roast" or "top sirloin" is a flavorful cut of beef from the sirloin and an excellent choice for slow roasting. After a long, slow cook time, the roast is tender and moist. Serve it for a weekend family dinner or at your next dinner party.
This spoon roast is seasoned with garlic and spices and then it's roasted to perfection. The oven starts out hot, and then after 15 minutes, the temperature is significantly reduced. Slow roasting this sirloin roast leaves it tender and juicy. Serve it with mashed or baked potatoes and a salad. Steamed or sautéed broccoli and green beans are very good with roast beef.
Click Play to See This Slow Roasted Spoon Roast (Top Sirloin) Recipe Come Together
- 2 cloves garlic (mashed and finely minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Dash ground cayenne pepper
- 3 pounds top sirloin beef roast (aka spoon roast)
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
Gather the ingredients. Heat the oven to 425 F. Line a roasting pan with foil and place a rack in the pan.
In a small bowl combine the minced garlic with the chili powder, cumin, salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper.
Put the roast in the prepared pan and rub it on all sides with the olive oil. Rub the seasoning mixture all over the roast.
Roast the beef in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 225 F and continue roasting for about 3 hours longer (about 45 minutes to 1 hour per pound), or until done as desired.
For medium-rare, the beef should register from 130 F to 135 F on a meat thermometer or oven probe placed in the thickest part of the roast.
Tent the roast loosely with foil and let it rest for 10 minutes before slicing.
Slice and serve with your choice of sides.
- Generally, medium-rare produces a tender and juicy roast, but according to the USDA Food Safety website, the minimum safe temperature for beef is 145 F.
- For extra flavor, consider prepping the beef several hours before cooking. Rub the roast with the oil and seasonings and then wrap it in plastic wrap or seal it in a food storage bag. Refrigerate for a few hours or overnight. Preheat the oven to 425 F. Remove the roast from the refrigerator and place in the prepared roasting pan. Roast as directed.
- Replace the chili powder and ground cumin with 1 teaspoon of a Creole or Cajun seasoning blend. If the Creole seasoning includes salt, omit the kosher salt.
- Replace the fresh minced garlic with 1 teaspoon of garlic powder or granulated garlic.