|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 21g||26%|
|Saturated Fat 13g||66%|
|Total Carbohydrate 28g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
The Smith & Kearns was created by the Blue Blazer's Gerbert "Shorty" Doebber in 1952. Shorty named it for two oilmen who were regulars at the bar: Smith and Curran. Over the years, the drink's original name and ingredients were changed a bit, though it's still very tasty and a popular mixed drink.
According to the stories, the loud atmosphere in bars caused the name "Curran" to be misheard as "Kearns" (sometimes spelled Kerns). Over time, the original crème de cacao was replaced with a coffee liqueur as well. A lot of that may be due to the white Russian's growing popularity in the 1960s, which helped make Kahlua a star of the bar.
Whether you take it with coffee or chocolate, the Smith & Kearns is a delicious beverage. It's light on the alcohol, so it makes a nice happy hour drink and the soda and cream combo gives it that ice cream float sort of feel. It's actually one of the more refreshing cream cocktails you can make. If you add vodka, it becomes a Smith & Wesson (alluding to the gun manufacturer and the cocktail's extra kick).
- 2 ounces coffee liqueur (or crème de cacao)
- 2 ounces cream
- 1 to 2 ounces club soda (to taste)
Gather the ingredients.
In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, pour the coffee liqueur and cream.
Top with club soda. Serve and enjoy.
- This drink can also be served without shaking or stirring. Instead, build it in layers by pouring the liqueur into a glass with ice, adding cream, then topping it with club soda.
- To make a Smith & Wesson, just add vodka. Typically, this mixed drink is made by shaking 1 ounce each of vodka and coffee liqueur with 2 ounces of cream. Strain it over ice and top with soda.
- Switch the club soda out for cola in the vodka recipe and you'll have a Colorado bulldog.
- If you want to add a little twist, pour a coffee or chocolate vodka. In fact, that's a great way to get both of those flavors into the drink; combine a coffee vodka with a chocolate liqueur or vice versa.
- For a lighter drink, pour milk instead of cream (vanilla soy or almond milk is a great choice, too). Or, go with half and half for a cream component that's neither too light nor too thick.
- As with other creamy vodka drinks, there's no need to use the best vodka you have in stock for this one. Your favorite "well" vodka will do just fine and there is a variety of great budget-friendly vodkas available today.
How Strong Is the Smith & Kearns?
Mixed drinks like this can be as light or strong as you want to make them. Pour more liquor and less soda for a stiff drink if you prefer, though it is difficult to make it very strong. The Smith & Kearns was designed to be a nice, casual drink. At an average alcohol content of 6 percent ABV (12 proof), it definitely fits the bill. Adding the vodka ramps it up a bit but the Smith & Wesson is still just 9 percent ABV (18 proof).