To get that authentic smoked flavor into these barbecue beans, add pieces of smoked meat to it. I always try to save something back from any smoke so I have something to add to soups, beans, and more. Burnt ends are the perfect meat for these beans.
- 2 16-ounce (480 mL) cans of navy beans
- 1 cup (240 mL) chopped burnt ends (any good smoked meat can be substituted)
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) BBQ sauce
- 1/2 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 small green pepper (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons (15 mL) honey
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) paprika
Drain beans and mix everything together in a smoker safe pot. Place in smoker at about 225 degrees F. (105 degrees C.) and let cook for about 2 hours. It will be ready in about an hour but the longer you smoke it the more smoke flavor you will get. Test every 30 minutes until it reaches the desired flavor and consistency.