This brisket recipe calls for a delicious rub made of chipotle peppers. Just make sure that the peppers are finely ground before using. Serve either with traditional barbecue sides like cole slaw, potato salad, and bbq beans, or with Spanish rice, refried beans, and warmed tortillas. Definitely a versatile main course.
- 1 beef brisket (about 8-10 pounds or 3.6-4.5 kg)
- For Rub:
- 2 dried chipotle peppers (use 3 to heat it up a little)
- 3 tablespoons (45 mL) black pepper
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon/15 mL dried cilantro leaves
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) cumin
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) onion powder
- Ooptional: 1 teaspoon (5 mL) ground dry orange peel
- 2 teaspoons (10mL) sea salt
1. Preheat smoker and add wood chips of your choice. Clean and dry the brisket.
2. Place rub ingredients into a coffee grinder or spice mill. Grind until mixture is fine and even. Apply rub onto brisket. Place brisket in the smoker for 8-10 hours. Keep the smoker temperature at about 220 degrees F/105 degrees C. To increase tenderness, take the brisket out of the smoker, wrap in aluminum foil and place in oven at 180-200 degrees for the last two hours.
Typically after 8-10 hours a piece of meat will have absorbed as much smoke as it can and additional smoking may impart a bitter flavor.
3. Take brisket off of heat and allow to sit for 20 minutes before slicing. Serve with your favorite sides.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||60 g|
|Saturated Fat||23 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||26 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|