The rub used for this smoked brisket should be prepared as a thick paste, which will help it adhere to the meat. Flavorful and delicious, this smoked brisket will quickly become a favorite.
- 1 beef brisket (about 8 to 10 pounds or 3.6 to 4/5 kg)
- For Rub:
- 3 tablespoons (45 mL) brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) cayenne
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) paprika
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) salt
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) onion powder
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) black pepper
- 1 tablespoon (15 mL) Tabasco
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL) powdered cumin
Preheat smoker and add wood chips (follow your instruction manual).
Clean and dry the brisket.
Combine rub ingredients and apply onto brisket.
Place brisket in smoker for 8 to 10 hours.
Keep the smoker temperature at about 220 degrees F/105 degrees C. To increase tenderness, take the brisket out of the smoker, wrap in aluminum foil and place in oven at 180 to 200 degrees F/80 to 90 degrees C for the last two hours.
Typically after 8 to 10 hours a piece of meat will have absorbed as much smoke as it can and additional smoking may impart a bitter flavor.
Take brisket off of heat and allow to sit for 20 minutes before slicing.