This classic meatloaf recipe is probably a lot like the one your mother used to make. We've stepped up the flavor by taking this meatloaf out of the oven and putting it into the smoker. This is the real BBQ style version of a comfort food favorite. You can serve this dish with anything from mashed potatoes to potato salad or a delicious casserole. This dish is quite versatile and can be served for any occasion, any time of the year. Try the leftovers in sandwiches.
- 1 1/2 pounds (700 g) ground beef (80/20 chuck works best)
- 1/2 pound (225 g) ground pork
- 3 slices white bread (crumbled)
- 1/3 cup (80 mL) ketchup
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) whole milk
- 1/2 medium onion (finely chopped)
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 1-2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 12/ teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- For Sauce:
- 1 cup (240 mL) barbecue sauce
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) brown sugar
1.Prepare smoker for a 3 hour smoke at a temperature between 250 and 275 degrees F/120 to 135 degrees C.
2. Combine milk and bread. Set aside for about 10 minutes, stirring a couple of times. Add meat, ketchup, onion, garlic, salt, and black pepper. Using hands, gently mix until everything is evenly combined. Try not to over mix so that the ground meats retain their texture.
3. Form the mixture into a loaf shape on a smoker safe pan or parchment paper.
Place on heated smoker with a small amount of mild wood. Smoke the meatloaf until the internal temperature passed 165 degrees F/75 degrees C.
4. Combine sauce ingredients and brush a generous amount toward the end of cook time (about 15-20 minutes before). You can do this a few times to ensure a nice flavorful topping on the meatloaf.
5. Once meatloaf has cooked through, remove from the grill and tent with aluminum foil. Allow to rest for 5 to 10 minutes before carving and serving.
6. Store leftovers in an air tight container in the refrigerator. Reheat in microwave or serve cold (or warmed) in sandwiches.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||15 g|
|Saturated Fat||6 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|