|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Servings: 6 to 8|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 13g||17%|
|Saturated Fat 6g||31%|
|Total Carbohydrate 7g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||8%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This smoked oyster dip is so simple and easy to make, and great for an appetizer at a party or gathering. If you or your guests are oyster lovers, this is a perfect dip to put out on the table, but watch out as it is addicting! Simply made with cream cheese, mayonnaise, lemon juice, garlic salt, tabasco sauce, capers or chopped olives, and of course, drained and chopped canned smoked oysters, the prep time for this dip is minimal, just make sure it is chilled thoroughly before serving. One of the nice things about this dip is it can be kept in the refrigerator for up to three days, so plan accordingly and make it up ahead of time to save yourself time on the day of your event.
For some extra color and flavor, feel free to add a few tablespoons of fresh chopped chives or parsley to the dip, along with the olives and oysters. Or, sprinkle the top of the dip with sweet paprika.
Serve this tasty smoked oyster appetizer dip with crackers, tortilla chips, pita chips, or bagel chips. You can also slice up some cucumbers to use with this dip.
- 1 (8-ounces) package cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 dash Tabasco sauce
- 1/4 cup capers or 1/2 cup olives, chopped
- 1 (9-ounces) can smoked oysters, drained and chopped
Gather the ingredients.
In a medium mixing bowl with an electric mixer, combine the softened cream cheese, mayonnaise, lemon juice, garlic, salt, and hot sauce. Beat until well blended.
With a spoon or spatula, fold in the chopped capers or olives and smoked oysters.
Cover and chill thoroughly. Store in the refrigerator for up to three days until ready to serve.
- You can quickly soften cream cheese by putting it in the microwave for about 15 to 20 seconds on high. Make sure to take it out of its foil wrapping first! The cream cheese should feel soft but not hot when touching the middle of the block of cream cheese with your finger.
- Plan to chill the dip at least an hour or two before serving. The longer you let it "chill out" in the fridge the more taste will shine through.
- Chop up some fresh chives or parsley and add a few tablespoons to the dip.
- Sprinkle some sweet paprika on the top before serving.
- Instead of Tabasco sauce, some prefer to use a dash of Worcestershire sauce.
How to Store
This smoked oyster dip can be stored in the refrigerator for up to three days. Cover the bowl that it is in tightly with plastic wrap, or transfer over to an airtight glass container.
Note: It is best to use a glass container or bowl rather than plastic, since plastic can absorb the "fishy" smell.