This is how to put together a classic sausage sandwich. If you already have smoked sausages try heating them up on the grill to give them more of a "real fire" flavor.
- 1 1/2 pounds (680 g) sausage
- 3 bell peppers (seeded and cut into long strips)
- 1 medium yellow onion (sliced)
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL) olive oil
- 6 sandwich buns
- 1/4 cup (60 mL) Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Smoke sausages (hot Italian are good for this recipe) at 200 degrees F/90 degrees C in your smoker until done, about 2 to 3 hours.
2. When the sausages are near done, heat olive oil in large skillet. Add bell pepper and onion to pan, season with salt and black pepper, and saute over medium heat until tender, about 5 to 7 minutes.
3. Remove sausages from smoker and cut lengthwise. Place onto warmed sandwich buns, top with Dijon mustard and sauteed vegetables.