|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 20g||25%|
|Saturated Fat 7g||34%|
|Total Carbohydrate 59g||22%|
|Dietary Fiber 11g||38%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
We made this dish with smoked chicken sausage, but feel free to use andouille, kielbasa, or your own favorite flavor. Serve this sausage meal with crusty bread and a tossed salad.
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- Dash allspice
- Dash ground black pepper
- 1/2 medium head cabbage, coarsely chopped
- 12 to 16 ounces chicken sausage links or another smoked sausage, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 cup sliced onion
- 1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup apple juice
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
Gather the ingredients.
Preheat oven to 325 F.
Combine the brown sugar, garlic, salt, nutmeg, allspice, and pepper in a small bowl.
In a large oven-safe Dutch oven or large casserole, layer half of the cabbage, half of the onion, half of the apple, and half of the sausage slices. Sprinkle with half of the brown sugar and spice mixture. Repeat the layers with the remaining cabbage, onion, apple, sausage, and brown sugar mixture. Pour the apple juice and vinegar over the casserole.
Cover tightly and bake for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Add more juice if needed.
Serve and enjoy!
- Feel free to use andouille, kielbasa, or what flavor sausage you'd like.