Cabbage, potatoes, and smoked sausages are flavored with a little apple juice and vinegar, along with thyme and other seasonings. This is a flavorful mixture, and it makes a nice everyday dinner. Serve the dish with crusty bread and a tossed salad.
Feel free to add more cabbage to this dish if you have a larger slow cooker.
- 2 pounds red-skinned potatoes, unpeeled or peeled, sliced about 1/4-inch thick
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
- 1 medium onion, halved, sliced
- 1/2 small to medium cabbage, coarsely chopped or shredded
- 6 to 8 links of smoked sausages, such as andouille, chicken, and apple, or your favorite
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- Arrange sliced potatoes in the bottom of a 4-to 7-quart slow cooker.
- Drizzle with the butter and sprinkle with about half of the salt, pepper, and thyme.
- Toss to coat the potatoes and then add the cabbage and onions.
- Sprinkle with remaining seasonings and then top with the sausages.
- Pour the apple cider over all and then drizzle with vinegar.
- Cover and cook for 6 to 8 hours on LOW or 3 to 4 hours on HIGH.
Tips and Variations
- Replace the apple juice with chicken broth, if desired.
- Add about 1/2 cup of chopped red or green bell pepper to the dish.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||22 g|
|Saturated Fat||9 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||9 g|
|Dietary Fiber||7 g|