|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 6 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 22g||28%|
|Saturated Fat 9g||45%|
|Total Carbohydrate 28g||10%|
|Dietary Fiber 7g||25%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Cabbage, potatoes, and smoked sausages are flavored with a little apple juice and vinegar, along with thyme and other seasonings. This is a flavorful mixture, and it makes a nice everyday dinner. Serve the dish with crusty bread and a tossed salad.
Feel free to add more cabbage to this dish if you have a larger slow cooker.
- 2 pounds red-skinned potatoes, unpeeled or peeled, sliced about 1/4-inch thick
- 1 tablespoon butter (melted)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
- 1 medium onion (halved and sliced)
- 1/2 small to medium cabbage (coarsely chopped)
- 1 pound smoked sausage links (e.g., andouille; chicken and apple; kielbasa)
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
Arrange sliced potatoes in the bottom of a 4-to 7-quart slow cooker.
Drizzle with the butter and sprinkle with about half of the salt, pepper, and thyme.
Toss to coat the potatoes and then add the cabbage and onions.
Sprinkle with remaining seasonings and then top with the sausages.
Pour the apple cider over all and then drizzle with vinegar.
Cover and cook for 6 to 8 hours on low or 3 to 4 hours on high.
- Replace the apple juice with chicken broth, if desired.
- Add about 1/2 cup of chopped red or green bell pepper to the dish.