- 2 to 3 pound (900 to 1300 g.) beef tri-tip roast
- 2 tablespoons (30 mL.) vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons (10 mL.) salt
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL.) mild chili powder
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL.) sugar
- 1 teaspoon (5 mL.) black pepper
- Brush tri-tip roasts with oil.
- Combine salt, sugar, garlic, chili powder and black pepper and rub evenly over the surface of the meat, cover with plastic wrap. Set aside.
- Prepare smoker for a cooking temperature around 225 to 250 F/110 to 120 C for 2 to 3 hours.
- After allowing beef to sit with the seasoning for around 30 minutes, place in heated smoker. A good wood for this is oak (red oak is the traditional wood of Santa Maria Barbecue). Smoke until meat is tender and has reached an internal temperature around 170 F/75 C.
- Remove from smoker and allow to rest, covered, for 10 to 15 minutes before carving.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||25 g|
|Saturated Fat||8 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||12 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|