|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 0g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Total Carbohydrate 15g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0%|
|Total Sugars 15g|
|Vitamin C 0mg||0%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
A classic brandy fizz, the snowball cocktail is interesting and, despite its name, it's great year-round. It's very similar to the popular gin fizz and was likely first published in 1899 in "Applegreen’s Bar Book."
At its most basic, the snowball is a mixed drink of brandy and ginger ale. It's likely that the first versions used soda water along with sugar rather than simple syrup. While the egg white is optional, it is often found in classic cocktails and will impart a lush texture and foamy top to the drink.
The comforting quality of the brandy and the frothiness from the egg white make this a great winter drink. Then again, it's also tall and refreshing, so it's a nice option for summer, too. No matter the season, give it a try whenever you're in the mood for a brandy cocktail that's both stimulating and easy to mix up.
Gather the ingredients.
In a cocktail shaker, pour the brandy, simple syrup, and egg white. Fill with ice.
Shake vigorously to ensure the egg is properly mixed.
Top with ginger ale. Serve and enjoy.
Raw Egg Warning
Consuming raw and lightly-cooked eggs poses a risk for food-borne illness.
- If you're going to include the egg white, be safe and avoid using an egg that's been in your fridge a little too long.
- A quick test will tell you if your egg is fresh: Gently drop it into a glass of water and if it floats it's too old and unsafe. You're looking for eggs that sink to the bottom instead.
- This is a nice drink to try out new-to-you brandies. As you explore brandy, add this recipe to your list of drinks to test out its mixability.
- Skip the egg if you like and you will have a tall, refreshing brandy and ginger ale drink.
- Adjust the simple syrup to suit your personal taste. This may vary from one brandy to the next as well.
- Rather than ginger ale, pour unsweetened soda water such as seltzer or club soda instead.
- If you want to brighten it up, the snowball is pretty good with a squeeze of lemon or lime juice as well.
How Strong Is a Snowball Cocktail?
When it comes to its alcohol content, the snowball is very similar to drinking a glass of wine. If you pour 80-proof brandy and include the egg, it weighs in at 14 percent ABV (28 proof). Skipping the egg increases that to 18 percent ABV (36 proof). Either way, it will become even weaker if you pour more than 2 ounces of soda.