Soba Noodles With Mushroom Broth is one of the most deeply flavored of my broth soup recipes. This light but warming broth soup is great any time of year, and especially during the spring and fall, when our bodies may lean towards less dense foods. Soba (buckwheat noodles) and carrots nourish the liver. Maitake mushrooms (Hen Of the Woods) are one of the most popular culinary mushrooms in Japanese cuisine, and have a rich, earthy, almost meaty flavor. They also happen to be very powerful medicinal mushrooms, and are used in oriental medicine as mineral rich immune enhancers and cancer fighters. If you cannot source maitakes, use shiitake mushrooms instead. The garlic, shallots, and ginger all give an extra boost to the immune system, too.
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 large shallots (finely chopped, about ½ cup)
- 4 garlic cloves (finely chopped)
- 1 tablespoon peeled fresh ginger root (finely chopped)
- 3 ounces maitake mushrooms (sliced, OR 1 ounce dried shiitake mushrooms, soaked in warm water for 30 minutes, stems discarded, and sliced thin, about 1 1/4 cup)
- 4 cups shiitake dashi (mushroom broth)
- 2 cups water (or the soaking water from the mushrooms if shiitakes are used)
- 1 package lotus root soba noodles
- 1 medium carrot (peeled and sliced on the bias)
- 1 cup scallions (chopped)
- 2 tablespoons tamari (or to taste)
- Garnish: 1/2 cup cilantro leaves
- Optional: Lime wedges and sambal on the side if a touch of heat is desired
Heat oil in large pot over medium heat.
Add shallots, garlic ginger and maitake and sauté 3-4 minutes.
Add the dash, 2 cups water, and bring to a boil.
Add the soba noodles, stir, and bring to a boil again.
Reduce heat; and simmer 5 minutes.
Add the carrots and simmer 2 minutes.
Stir in the scallions and tamari.
Serve immediately, garnishing with cilantro leaves and lime wedges if desired. (The lime adds a touch of brightness to this earthy soup).
A touch of samba adds the heat factor and can be stirred into the soup by anyone who wants it.
Copyright Jen Hoy 2015
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||8 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|