Sofrito is a versatile, aromatic mixture of herbs and vegetables used as the foundation for many Latin and Caribbean dishes. There are many variations of this recipe. If you wish to prepare your sofrito with ingredients that are easy to find in any grocery store, try the basico sofrito recipe.
In the recipe below, ajíces dulces (also called cachucha or ajicitos) are small sweet peppers with a hint of spice. They look very similar to habaneros but aren't spicy. Culantro is an herb that tastes like cilantro. The leaves are long, tapered and serrated.
- 2 medium Cubanelle peppers, seeds removed
- 4 to 6 ajíces dulces, seeds removed
- 1 red sweet pepper, seeds removed
- 2 large tomatoes
- 2 medium onions, peeled
- 1 head of garlic, peeled
- 1 bunch cilantro leaves
- 4 culantro leaves
- Gather the ingredients.
- Chop and blend all the ingredients in a food processor or blender.
- Store sofrito in a glass container in the refrigerator for immediate use or freeze sofrito in 1/4 to 1/2 cup portions for use at any time.