These soft chocolate drop cookies are easy to prepare and bake, and they are very versatile.
Flavor the chocolate cookies with chopped walnuts, pecans, or hazelnuts. Add chocolate chips, white chocolate chips, peanut butter chips, or brickle chips to the cookie dough.
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup buttermilk or sour milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups flour, 7 3/4 ounces
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cocoa, unsweetened
- 1/2 to 1 cup chopped walnuts or brickle chips, optional
- 1 cup butterscotch, white chocolate, or chocolate chips, optional
Heat the oven to 350 F (180 C/Gas 4).
Line baking sheets with parchment paper or grease them lightly.
Cream the butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Beat the egg into the creamed mixture and then stir in the buttermilk and vanilla.
In another bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt, and cocoa; blend well with a whisk or spoon.
Stir the dry ingredients into the first batter until well blended.
Fold in walnuts and chips if using.
Chill for about 1 hour.
Drop by teaspoonfuls onto the prepared baking sheets about 2 inches apart.
Bake in the preheated oven for 10 to 14 minutes, or until no imprint remains when lightly touched with finger.
Transfer the cookies to a rack to cool completely.
Makes about 3 to 4 dozen cookies, depending on additions and size.
- Let cookie sheets cool before adding the next batch. If cookie dough is dropped onto hot cookie sheets, they will begin to spread before they start cooking.
- Slide the cookies off of the baking sheet and onto a rack to cool. If they are baked on parchment paper, slide them off onto the rack, parchment and all.
- Grease baking sheets with unsalted butter or margarine, shortening, or cooking spray.
- Dark baking sheets absorb more oven heat. Line dark baking sheets with heavy-duty foil to prevent over-browning.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||8 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||2 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|