|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Servings: 4 to 6|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 20g||25%|
|Saturated Fat 4g||22%|
|Total Carbohydrate 35g||13%|
|Dietary Fiber 6g||23%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Solterito is one of the specialty dishes of Arequipa, a beautiful city surrounded by dramatic volcanos in southern Peru. Solterito is a vegetable salad, traditionally prepared with the lima beans and large kernel choclo corn that grow so well in Peru.
The word soltero means "single", and solterito (the diminutive form) translates to something like "little single man." Chunks of salty queso fresco cheese (a firm white salty cheese), spicy rocoto chile pepper, tomatoes, olives, and red onion make this salad burst with flavor and color. This is a great summer picnic salad, but it can be prepared with frozen vegetables in the winter as well.
- 1 1/2 cups fresh or frozen lima beans
- 1 1/2 cups corn kernels
- 1 cup of diced carrots
- 1/2 cup black or green olives (sliced crosswise)
- 1 tomato (seeded and diced)
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 1/2 cups diced queso fresco cheese (farmer's cheese or mozzarella mixed with a small amount of feta cheese works well as a substitute)
- 2 to 3 tablespoons finely diced red chile pepper (to taste)
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley or cilantro
- Vinaigrette dressing (6 tablespoons olive oil, 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar, and salt and pepper to taste)
Steps to Make It
Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and cook the corn kernels until they are just tender. Remove the corn to a bowl of ice water to cool.
Cook the carrots and the lima beans together (in the same pot of boiling salted water) until they are crisp-tender. Drain them and place them in the ice water with the corn for at least 5 minutes.
Drain the chilled vegetables well and toss them with remaining ingredients. Let the salad marinate for a couple of hours in the refrigerator if possible before serving.