The Sombrero is a wonderful way to enjoy Kahlua with milk. It is an easy drink to mix up and perfect for an after-dinner cocktail or those times when you simply want a smooth, light beverage.
It really does not get much simpler than adding a shot of coffee liqueur to a short glass of milk on the rocks. That is, essentially, all that the Sombrero is and it is a casual delight to sip.
As with all drinks, there are a few substitutions that can be made. If you prefer, use a coffee brandy like that from Maine producer, Allen's. Also, if you would like to make your Sombrero a little thicker, choose cream over the milk.
No matter how you end up taking your Sombrero, it is a fabulous drink. Think of it as a light variation on the White Russian. Mix it up and enjoy!
- Pour the Kahlua or coffee brandy into an ice-filled old-fashioned glass.
- Fill with cream or milk.
Beyond the Original Kahlua
Kahlua may be the best-known coffee liqueur on the liquor shelf, but it is not the only one. In fact, the Kahlua brand itself makes some very interesting variations on the original.
- Kahlua Especial - Richer coffee flavor (dark espresso) that is 35% ABV (70 proof).
- Kahlua Midnight - Similar to the original Kahlua, this is a 'Black Coffee Liqueur' that is also 70-proof).
Kahlua also produces a few flavors like French vanilla, hazelnut, mocha, and salted caramel. These can come and go from the market as the brand continues to experiment with new variations.
Kahlua Substitutions: 4 Craft Coffee Liqueurs You Need to Try
You will find other fantastic coffee liqueurs as well and many drinkers will argue that they are superior to Kahlua. Coffee has become a popular new option for small, craft distilleries and these really are some of the best coffee liqueurs you can find right now.
- Firelit Coffee Liqueur - A cold-brew coffee liqueur, Firelit will have you rethinking what coffee liqueur can (and should be). It is one of the best on the market.
- Leopold Bros. French Press-Style American Coffee Liqueur - If you love French press coffee, this is the liqueur for you because it begins in a 25-liter press similar to the one in your kitchen.
- St. George Spirits' NOLA Coffee Liqueur - Sipping coffee in New Orleans is a different experience and it is captured to perfection in this bottle.
- New Deal Coffee Liqueur - Working with a coffee house near their Portland, Oregon distillery, New Deal continues to impress with a perfect coffee liqueur.
How Strong Is the Sombrero?
Kahlua varies in proof depending on the country it is sold in. In the United States, it is 20% ABV (40 proof).
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||20 g|
|Saturated Fat||13 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|