|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
Sookha Kala Chana is easy to make and tastes really nice as a snack or side dish to accompany an entree. As an added benefit, the Chana is also an excellent source of protein.
- 2 cups Kala chana (black chickpeas) - washed and soaked in water overnight
- 3 tbsps vegetable/ canola/ sunflower cooking oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 green chilies slit lengthwise
- 3 tbsps fresh grated ginger
- 2 tbsp finely chopped garlic
- 1 large onion chopped fine
- 2 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chili powder
- 1/2 tsp raw mango powder (amchoor)
- 2 medium tomatoes chopped into 1" cubes
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped coriander leaves
- juice of 1/2 a lime or lemon
- salt to taste
Boil the chickpeas in a pressure cooker or large pan till soft. Drain and keep aside for later.
Heat the cooking oil in a deep pan and when it is hot, add the cumin seeds. Cook till they splutter.
Add the green chilies and cook till they stop spluttering. Now add the ginger and garlic and fry for 2-3 minutes. Add the onion and fry until soft.
Add the boiled chickpeas, coriander, cumin, turmeric, red chili, raw mango powders and mix well.
Cook for 2 minutes and then add the tomatoes, chopped coriander, and salt to taste. Mix well and cook for 4 to 5 minutes more.
Turn off the fire and garnish with the lime juice. Mix and serve while hot.