This scrumptious sour cream coffee cake is baked in a tube pan with a surprise layer of cinnamon, sugar, and chopped walnuts or pecans. The moist cinnamon swirl coffee cake is always a hit, and it's an easy cake to prepare and bake. Take it along to a morning meeting or get together with friends.
Use chopped walnuts or pecans in this cake and drizzle vanilla or cream cheese icing over the cake. See the tips for an easy vanilla icing.
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 stick (1/2 cup) butter, softened
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, 9 ounces
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts
- Heat the oven to 350 F.
- Grease and flour a tube cake pan.
- Cream sugar and butter. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Beat in sour cream and vanilla. Sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt; stir into creamed mixture.
- In another bowl, combine cinnamon, sugar, and chopped pecans.
- Spoon half of the batter into the prepared tube cake pan and spread it evenly. Sprinkle with half of the nut mixture. Carefully spread the remaining batter over the filling; sprinkle with remaining nut mixture.
- Bake the coffee cake in the preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Let the cake cool on a rack. Dust the cake with sifted powdered sugar or glaze with one of the options below. To glaze the cake, place a large sheet of foil or parchment paper on the countertop. Place the cake on a rack over the foil or paper and then drizzle the glaze over the cake.
Easy Vanilla Icing: Combine 1 cup of confectioners' sugar with 1 to 2 tablespoons of hot water or milk and 1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract. Mix until smooth and thin with more milk or hot water or add more confectioners' sugar to get a drizzling consistency.
Quick and Easy Caramel Glaze: In a saucepan over medium heat, combine 1/2 cup of butter, 1/2 cup of brown sugar, and 1 tablespoon of evaporated milk, light cream, or milk. Bring to a boil, stirring, for about 2 minutes, or until the sugar has dissolved. Remove the caramel mixture from the heat and drizzle over the cake.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||14 g|
|Saturated Fat||6 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|