This tender, moist 2-layer devil's food cake will earn you high praise. The secret to the wonderful texture is the sour cream or buttermilk. A smooth mixture of cocoa powder and hot water add rich chocolate flavor to the cake.
Use your favorite icing for the cake. A fluffy white frosting or seafoam frosting are both good choices, or use a basic butter and confectioners' sugar frosting. If you want to make it fancy, add chocolate shavings or drizzle the frosted cake with some chocolate glaze.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, stirred or sifted before measuring
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 8 tablespoons butter (softened)
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup sour cream (or well-shaken buttermilk)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Heat the oven to 350 F (180 C/Gas Mark 4).
- Grease and flour two 9-inch cake pans.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix to blend thoroughly.
- In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Stir the baking soda into the sour cream or buttermilk.
- Add the dry ingredients to the butter and sugar mixture alternating with the sour cream mixture; beat well after each addition.
- In a cup or small bowl, combine the cocoa powder with the hot water; mix until smooth.
- Add the cocoa and hot water mixture to the batter along with the vanilla; beat until smooth.
- Spread the batter in the prepared cake pans.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes, or until the cake springs back when touched lightly with a finger.
- Cool in the pans on racks for 10 minutes. Carefully remove the cakes and cool completely on the racks.
- Frost with chocolate or fluffy white frosting, or your favorite icing.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||19 g|
|Saturated Fat||10 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|