|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 29g||37%|
|Saturated Fat 24g||120%|
|Total Carbohydrate 77g||28%|
|Dietary Fiber 21g||76%|
|Total Sugars 47g|
|Vitamin C 196mg||978%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
If you've never tried a soursop, you're in for a unique flavor experience. The soursop fruit, also known as the guanabana, is common in the tropical climates of Africa, South America, Southeast Asia, and the Pacific Islands. Also referred to as the thorny custard apple, thorny mango, and thorny fruit due to its exterior appearance, the soursop tastes like a combination of pineapple and cherry, with a creamy flavor similar to coconut or banana. Its pulp is white with inedible black seeds that should not be consumed due to their possible toxicity. The soursop is a member of the Annonaceae family, which also includes the paw paw, a tropical tasting fruit that can be found in North America.
The fruit of the soursop is used to flavor ice cream, sorbets, and candy. Fruit bars made from the soursop are very popular in Venezuela. You can buy this fruit fresh if you have access to imported fruits at grocers and markets near your house, or you can buy the pulp in cans or in plastic packages. Similarly, you can buy fresh coconut at many grocery stores and prepare it on your own a hammer and a butter knife, or you can buy frozen cubed coconut.
Click Play to See This Tasty Soursop Juice and Smoothie Come Together
"Not too sweet. Soursop has great health properties so getting it into a smoothie is a great way to have it." —Renae Wilson
Gather the ingredients.
Put the soursop pulp, cubed coconut, cubed pineapple, leafy greens, and peeled ginger into a blender.
Pulse until everything has blended together.
If you'd like a thinner smoothie, feel free to add a bit of water or coconut milk, a bit at a time, until you reach your desired thickness. Add ice cubes for a thicker smoothie.
Serve and enjoy!
- It is highly recommended to use a high-speed blender, such as a Vitamix, when making this smoothie. It will be powerful enough to ensure that the ginger root is well blended.
How to Prepare Fresh Soursop
- Wash 2 soursops under running water. Make sure to scrub, as dirt often gets caught on the bumps of the skin.
- Once washed, peel the soursops. You can use a paring knife to do this. Since the skin is very soft, you might even be able to use your hands.
- After peeling the fruit, cut it in half to remove the stem.
- To remove the seeds, place the pulp in a large bowl and break it up by hand. Discard the seeds.