Sous vide egg bites are created in a temperature-controlled water bath using a sous vide machine. A full-on sous vide tank or sous vide stick will work equally well for this recipe. They’re filled with Gruyere cheese and crispy bacon and are creamy, savory, and so satisfying.
You can prepare these egg bites ahead of time and freeze them. They heat up easily when you are ready to head out of the door—just pop them in the microwave for one minute and you have an easy meal on the go. We’ve included lots of variations for delicious add-ins so you can use whatever you have on hand for a delicious breakfast.
- 3 slices bacon
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup Gruyere cheese (grated)
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese (softened)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Garnish: fresh chives (chopped)
Gather the ingredients. Set your sous vide machine in a large pot of water to 172 F.
Bake, fry, or air fry the bacon until crisp.
Add the eggs, grated cheese, heavy cream, cream cheese, salt, and pepper to your blender.
Blend the ingredients until completely smooth.
Grease six 4-ounce jars or ramekins with cooking spray. Cut the bacon in half and add a half to the bottom of each glass jar.
Pour an equal amount of the egg mixture into each glass jar.
Seal each jar with its lid until just “two-finger twist tight,” meaning you can easily untwist the jar with just two fingers. Any tighter and you run the risk of the jar exploding in the water bath.
Place the jars in the water bath (completely submerged) and cook for 1 hour. Remove from the water bath with tongs.
Slide a knife around the edge of the egg to release.
Flip out of the jar onto a plate, Serve with chopped chives.
How to Store and Freeze
- Allow to cool and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Place the cooled egg bites in freezer bags and freeze for up to 2 months. Reheat them in the microwave directly from frozen.
There are endless variations for these egg bites. Try out the different combinations below or create your own:
- Kale and Portabella: Sauté a cup of chopped kale and 3 sliced portabella mushrooms in olive oil with a 1/4 teaspoon salt. Whip the eggs with the heavy cream and cream cheese and then portion the kale and mushrooms evenly between the jars.
- Egg White and Roasted Red Pepper: Use 8 egg whites and beat them with 4 tablespoons of low-fat cream cheese. Divide a 1/4 cup of diced roasted red peppers among the jars and top with the egg white mixture.
- Sausage, Spinach, and Cheddar: Beat the eggs with the heavy cream and cream cheese and 1/2 cup of cheddar cheese. Brown a 1/2 pound of sausage, then sauté 1 cup of spinach. Divide them equally amongst the jars and pour the egg mixture over the top.
Or try a combination of these add-ins: