There isn't a better way to enjoy the rainbow of fresh produce than with simple, straightforward oven-roasted vegetables. In this recipe, oven roasting with a splash of extra virgin olive oil caramelizes and brings out the flavor of zucchini, squash, bell peppers, asparagus, and onion.
This particular blend of vegetables is extremely high in vitamin C, vitamin A, and vitamin B6. It is also a great source of natural fiber, folate, potassium, and vitamin K, just to name just a few. When it comes to your health, you really can't do better than a beautiful mix of fresh vegetables prepared simply with little fuss.
Fresh veggies are always best, but if you're craving these summertime vegetables out of season, try opting for flash frozen vegetables. They may not be as crisp once thawed, but they tend to hold on to their nutritional value better than produce that has been harvested and imported out of season.
While this recipe was adapted from Dr. Arthur Agatston's The South Beach Diet for phase 1 of the program, you definitely don't have to be on the famous diet to enjoy this one.
- 1 medium zucchini (cut into bite-sized pieces)
- 1 medium yellow summer squash (cut into bite-sized pieces)
- 1 medium red bell pepper (cut into bite-sized pieces)
- 1 medium yellow bell pepper (cut into bite-sized pieces)
- 1 pound fresh asparagus (cut into bite-sized pieces)
- 1 red onion (chopped)
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Gather the ingredients.
- Preheat the oven to 450 F.
- While oven is preheating, prepare all vegetables by cutting into bite-sized pieces.
- Then, place the zucchini, squash, bell peppers, asparagus, and red onion in a large roasting pan, and toss with the olive oil, salt, and black pepper.
- Spread vegetables in a single layer on a baking pan.
- Roast in the oven for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally until the vegetables are lightly browned and tender.
- Serve as a side to your choice of protein and enjoy.
The South Beach Diet: The Delicious, Doctor-Designed, Foolproof Plan for Fast and Healthy Weight Loss by Arthur S. Agatston M.D. (Ballantine Books)
Copyright 2003 by Arthur S. Agatston M.D. Reprinted with express written permission.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|