- 1 large head cabbage, chopped finely
- 1 red bell pepper, sliced into thin strips
- 1 sweet onion, chopped finely
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 cup/240 mL sugar
- 1 cup/240 mL apple cider vinegar
- 2/3 cup/180 mL vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons/30 mL mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons/10 mL dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL salt
- 1 teaspoon/5 mL black pepper
- Combine sugar, vinegar, oil, mustard, mayonnaise, salt and pepper in a saucepan over a low heat. Stir until sugar dissolves. Refrigerate dressing for 30 minutes.
- Chop cabbage and sweet onion finely into thin pieces. Remove stem, core with seeds and any white parts of bell pepper. Slice into thin strips. If vegetables have accumulated a lot of liquid from washing and slicing, pat them dry with paper towels.
- Place vegetables in a serving dish with cooled dressing. Using kitchen tongs, carefully, toss vegetables with dressing until well coated. Transfer to a serving bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and refrigerate for 1 1/2-2 hours before serving.
- Coleslaw will keep for up to 2 days after preparation if stored, covered in the refrigerator. Serve dish on the side with brisket, pork, or chicken, or serve right on top of pulled pork in a delicious sandwich.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||32 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||21 g|
|Dietary Fiber||7 g|