This is a Kentucky style jam cake made with blackberry jam and spices. You can add dates or raisins to this cake, along with chopped pecans to give it a flavorful twist. Use a cream cheese frosting to top it if you're craving for some extra richness.
- 3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup raisins or chopped dates, optional
- 1 cup butter, room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup blackberry jam
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Into a medium bowl, sift together flour, soda, salt, and spices.
- Put the chopped pecans and raisins or dates in a small bowl. Sift a little of the flour over the fruit and nut mixture; toss to coat.
- In a mixing bowl, cream butter; gradually add sugar and beat until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs and blackberry jam. Add flour mixture alternately with buttermilk. Beat until smooth after each addition.
- Fold in nuts and raisins or dates.
- Pour into three 9-inch layer cake pans and bake at 350 F for 20 to 25 minutes. Spread a buttercream or cream cheese icing between layers and over cake.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||19 g|
|Saturated Fat||8 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||7 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|