This chicken and noodle casserole recipe is made with diced cooked chicken, tomatoes, and cheese. It's a tasty chicken dish and easy to fix and bake.
You can cut the cooking time substantially if you use 2 prepared rotisserie chickens.
The dish is really quite versatile. Add some lightly steamed vegetables to the noodle mixture in place of or in addition to the mushrooms.
- 1 medium chicken (or hen, about 4 1/2 pounds, cut up)
- 1 large onion (sliced)
- 2 ribs celery (chopped)
- 2 carrots (cut into large chunks)
- Optional: 2 teaspoons whole peppercorns
- Optional: 1 or 2 sprigs of thyme
- 10 cups water
- 8 ounces noodles (thin or medium)
- 2 cups onion (chopped)
- 1 cup green bell pepper( or a combination of red and green, chopped)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups chicken broth (from stewing chicken)
- 2 cups tomatoes (chopped, may use canned)
- 1 jar or can mushrooms (about 4 to 6 ounces, sliced)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 16 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup fresh soft bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- In a large Dutch oven or stockpot, cover the chicken pieces with water. Add the large sliced onion, the chopped celery, and carrot chunks. Add the peppercorns and thyme sprigs, if using. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook for about 1 1/2 hours, or until the meat is falling-off-the-bone tender.
- Remove the chicken parts from the pot. Strain the liquids; remove and discard solids and excess fat. Set the broth aside.
- When the chicken is cool enough to handle, remove the meat from the bones and chop. Discard the bones, skin, and any excess fat.
- Heat the oven to 325 F. Lightly grease a 2 1/2 to 3-quart casserole.
- In a large skillet or sauté pan, saute the 2 cups of onion and the bell pepper in the butter until tender. Add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook, stirring for another 2 minutes.
- Gradually add 2 cups of the reserved broth to the flour mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, until the sauce is bubbling and thickened. Add tomatoes and mushrooms and bring to a simmer.
- Meanwhile, cook the noodles in boiling salted water following the package directions; drain well.
- In a the prepared 2 1/2 to 3-quart casserole, layer half noodles, chopped chicken, sauce, and cheese; repeat, making another layer.
- Toss the bread crumbs with the 2 tablespoons of melted butter. Sprinkle over the top of the casserole.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour, or until the crumb topping is browned and the casserole is bubbly around the edges.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||52 g|
|Saturated Fat||25 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||17 g|
|Dietary Fiber||8 g|