If you're looking for a truly homemade chicken casserole with vegetables, this is an excellent choice. This chicken casserole begins with a chicken and seasonings. The chicken is baked on vegetables with the thickened broth. The unique bread crumb topping includes an egg, making it a stuffing-like topping.
Serve this one-dish meal with buttermilk biscuits and sliced fresh vegetables.
- 1 chicken, about 3 to 4 pounds
- 3 1/4 cups water
- few sprigs parsley
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen corn, thawed
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen French-cut green beans, thawed
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3 cups coarse soft bread crumbs
- 1 egg, beaten*
- 1/2 teaspoon ground sage
- pepper, to taste
- In a large Dutch oven or stock pot, combine chicken, water, parsley, celery, half of the onions, and thyme. Cover and cook chicken until very tender, about 1 1/4 hours.
- Drain the chicken, reserving stock. Cool chicken. Skin, bone, and chop meat. Strain stock.
- Spread corn and green beans in a buttered 9 x 13-inch baking pan. Arrange chicken over the vegetables.
- Combine cornstarch and reserved stock in a medium saucepan and stir until dissolved. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Pour sauce over chicken.
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Melt butter in a small saucepan. Add remaining 1/2 cup of onions and cook over low heat until soft.
- In a medium bowl, toss the bread crumbs with the butter and sauteed onions, the beaten egg, sage, and pepper.
- Sprinkle bread crumb mixture over chicken and bake for 25 minutes, or until sauce is bubbly and top is browned.
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||59 g|
|Saturated Fat||19 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||22 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|